Sunday, October 19, 2008

The bumper sticker



I've been meaning to write about my new bumper sticker and car magnet, but have been stumped on saying something interesting beyond the fact that I do not see a lot of Obama bumper stickers (but more than for McCain), and wondering why that is. But perhaps it's too early to declare loyalty or some trend reducing bumper sticker placement (I say that because the woman buying her sticker before me had trouble finding a place to put it).


In general, I like bumper stickers, perhaps because I like telling the same joke over and over. As a car owner  for the first time since 2004, I am going to have to choose my loyalties carefully. Bumper stickers are semi-permanent, and in fact, I remember in high school, one of our pranks was to put unwanted bumper stickers on each other's (parents') cars. Yes, we were nerds. 

The Obama sticker is attractive in its use of the campaign font (Gotham), taking a cue from its predecessor in font-dom--the Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center site, as The New York Times writes; the font itself was inspired by previous uses in New York City, mostly on municipal or transportation signs. It is supposed to represent the tone of the campaign, forward-looking and youthful. 

But why aren't there more around especially in  such an exciting election year?

--J.S.

No comments: